*

10.6.10

OMG!! WTF!?

OMG OMG, you are surely saying to yourself, this is not the blog I was expecting! To which, verily, I reply: Get used to it. After literally years of I-really-should-do-that-sometime-soon, I wrote a new layout. And it only took me, like, three months. And it's not really finished. There will be much tweaking in the days and weeks to come.

The new layout, as you probably have noticed, has no sidebar, just a 500 px central column of verbiage. All the sidebary stuff is now in the footer, which, if things were working correctly, you would get to by pressing the asterisk in the right-hand side of the window. Unfortunately, that's not working yet, for no apparent reason. I'll have to look into that. [edit: working now! Thanks, Kyrre.].

The page also now starts with my Twitter feed and a stream of a set of personal favourites from my Flickr account. This not-placing-of-the-blog-content up top is weird, I admit. It does mean that you have to scroll down before you get the actual specific content of the blog, but I wanted to have the blog reflecting more of my online activities. This way, it's more of a sort of homepage. Anyway, it probably won't stay this way forever, but for now, I like the micro-unorthodoxy of not bombarding the reader with Too Much Information, and I like that I have a little pause up top before the contents start.

If you go to a specific post page, the Twitter and Flickr bits will not be there, so if you're requesting a specific post, you'll only get that post.

Do you get any bugs with the new layout? Let me know in comments.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Except from the asterisk not working, I have not found any bugs,not as such. However, I think placing your Twitter feed on top of the blog might be a mistake. At least, it doesn't work for me. I follow your tweets on twitter, and when I visit your blog, I do so in order to read - surprise - your blog entries. Therefore, I would prefer the most recent blog entry on top. Apart from this, I quite like the new layout. Clean, nice and stylish.

June 10, 2010 8:44 am  
Blogger suttonhoo said...

I like.

June 10, 2010 2:19 pm  
Blogger mrtn said...

Several people have said the Twitter thing. But most people who read the blog, believe it or not, don't follow me on Twitter. I put the tweets up top in order to make the blog reflect more of my activities online.

I should say that I totally stole the single-column-with-Twitter-and-Flickr-up-top-idea from someplace, but I can't for the life of me remember where.

June 10, 2010 4:30 pm  
Blogger mrtn said...

Don't say I don't respond to criticism, though: now the twitter & flickr feeds are absent from the post permalink pages.

June 10, 2010 4:38 pm  
Blogger Peter Larsen said...

I like the page layout and the palatino, but what happened to the blue headlines and links? Orange? No good, hard to read

June 10, 2010 10:12 pm  
Blogger mrtn said...

I actually agree. When I get the time, I'm going to turn the links a much darker orange.

June 10, 2010 10:18 pm  
Blogger andreas s. said...

I think the page and typography looks great. Might be an idea to add a small description over the asterisk to let first-timers know that you have a lot of resources at the bottom of the page. They might not discover that it's a link. You probably thought about it and decided not to, though...

June 14, 2010 8:23 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home