*

28.1.09

And just to see if this blog can pack in David Foster Wallace in any given post (my brother recently suggested I should rename my blog "David Foster Wallace is Dead"), here is an epic, spectacularly cruel Technicolor takedown DFW did of John Updike, back in the day. Evil literary criticism at its most evil. Move over, Dale Peck.
Toward the End of Time concerns an incredibly erudite, articulate, successful, narcissistic and sex-obsessed retired guy who's keeping a one-year journal in which he explores the apocalyptic prospect of his own death. It is, of the total 25 Updike books I've read, far and away the worst, a novel so mind-bendingly clunky and self-indulgent that it's hard to believe the author let it be published in this kind of shape.

2 Comments:

Blogger suttonhoo said...

two points:
1) you should.
2) such a relief to see someone ripping on Updike. I mean no disrespect to the dead, but I could never warm up to that guy.

February 01, 2009 11:40 pm  
Blogger mrtn said...

More to the point, he probably couldn't really warm up to you what with the more-than-a-touch-of misogyny.

February 01, 2009 11:46 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home