*

29.11.07

Elephants in Porcelain Shops

I'm breathless. The Republican primary debates in the US really makes our local right wing parties seem wonderful. They are coherent, realistic and humane. The most interesting thing in these videos is almost seeing the crowd that the candidates have to pander to. Check out the question marked "Do you believe every word in the Holy Bible?" Or the guy who asks the candidates what kind of guns they have. (McCain, knowing he has to answer, and probably hating every second of pandering to people like this sucks it up and says "I've used guns in Vietnam. I know how to use a gun. I don't currently own a gun." Poor guy.) It's like watching a horror movie, only real. When they say that the Christian fundamentalists have gotten control of the GOP, they weren't kidding. Also note what makes the crowd applaud.

And then, check out question 8. "What three federal programs would you cut?" Watch, as with one fell stroke, they cut away the dept. of Education, the Dept. of Energy and then go all one-upmanship on each other: "I'm gonna cut the Dept. of Education!" "Yeah, well I'm going to cut even MORE departments!" "Yeah, well, I'M GOING TO CUT THE IRS!" "WELL I'M GOING TO CUT EVERYTHING, EVEN MYSELF. LOOK, I'M SLASHING MY ARMS WITH A KNIFE. THE BLOOD! THE BLOOD! THE DARKNESS COMETH! COME, DARK ONE!" Or anyway, that's what it sounded like to me. These people are politically crazy. Cut the department of education, social security and the IRS? Seriously? You can say that at the top level of American politics and not get laughed out of office?

Labels: , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger OjO al Texto said...

Your post scares the hell out of me. That is the party that rules and may continue doing so. This explains why democrats and liberals have so little room to negotiate intelligent and "public interest" proposals.

Long time not coming back here. The stuff on your thesis interests me so I will come back to look a it in more detail.

December 01, 2007 12:08 pm  
Blogger mrtn said...

Yes, it gave me major creep-out, too. In any sane world, they won't be in power much longer, though. I still think the Republican field looks very weak, and the democratic field looks strong. But then, I thought that in 2000 and 2004 as well.

Would love to hear what you think about the thesis, Alvaro!

December 03, 2007 8:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home