*

23.2.07

blogger jailed

Abdel Kareem Soliman, an Egyptian blogger, has been jailed for speaking his mind. Amnesty immediately condemned the jailing, as well they should. You'll have to search far and wide for a more obvious case of a prisoner of conscience. Here's his blog. His profile is quite incendiary, quasi-terroristic, threat-against-the-state type stuff:
I am down to earth Law student; I look forward to help humanity against all form of discriminations. I am currently studying Law in Al Azhar University. I am looking forward to open up my own human rights activists Law firm, which will include other lawyers who share the same views. Our main goal is to defend the rights of Muslim and Arabic women against all form of discrimination and to stop violent crimes committed on a daily basis in these countries .

Though I could almost support his incarceration for that awful audio clip which autoloads when you look at his blog, this goes against the whole project of democracy, not to mention blogging, and we (the blogosphere, the public) should condemn his incarceration in the strongest possible terms. Haven't found an Amnesty campaign yet, but I'll post a link when one pops up. Meanwhile, here is a dedicated campaign: FreeKareem.org. And here's a petition you can sign.

Labels: , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home