*

11.11.05

Magnetic north of the political compass

So I took the Political Compass test again (I hear it's suddenly gotten in vogue again). I did this the last time in December of 2003. My new score is:

Economic Left/Right: -9.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.13

Which is to say, I'm a dope-smoking, homosexual, fetus-killing liberal, and slightly to the (economic) left of Stalin.

I like the idea of the political compass, I really do. But this thing makes me sound way more like an extremist than I really am. It is clear to me that this test was made in a liberal capitalist setting. While I have very libertarian views on most social issues, I am not a control-economy tubthumper. I am only slightly to the "left" of the social democratic mixed-economy principles. What throws the questionnaire off is that I have very restrictive views on multinational corporations' freedom to maneuver, while I have very liberal views on smaller businesses, which the test fails to ask for. The questions are skewed towards the right end of the spectrum. The magnetic north of the compass, to use a strained analogy, is further towards the right-wing side of the spectrum than it should be. (The analogy is strained because there can't be a "true" north.)

Another concern with me is that I have dropped about twenty points in libertarianism in two years. That means that around the time I'm turning seventy, I'll be slightly more conservative than the pope. It seems I have started my slow, but inevitable slide into conservatism. Somebody hand me a cigar and a place in the Freemasons lodge.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The political compass is utterly flawed. If you can find me a single person outside of the US Congress that has not scored at least -5 on both axes, I will give you a million dollars.

I don't even have a million dollars, but I'm pretty confident that the eventuality will never arise.

November 11, 2005 10:45 pm  
Blogger mrtn said...

I refer you to the election results of such countries as Israel, Iran, Egypt, significant portions of the European democracies, and by my calculations, you owe me...

a kazillion dollars.

I take cash.

November 11, 2005 10:52 pm  
Blogger Mikkel said...

I scored a +66 even on both axes. Give my brother his money.

November 13, 2005 2:29 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home