*

14.3.05

Spyware

I have no idea how it happened, but suddenly Internet Explorer had turned into the rocky mountains and I had a new toolbar below the Googlebar. It was something called the WebSearch Toolbar. Looked very fancy, but I hadn't asked for it, and didn't seem to do much that Googlebar doesn't do for me already.

As I was uninstalling it (in itself an ardous process, requiring an anti-adware/spyware program and the control panel), this piece of mercenary software had the audacity to recommend that I scan for spyware often, using one of a number of programs that it could recommend for me.

No kidding? Spyware? I should scan for spyware?

You mean like a program that installs itself without my asking, that sends data about me to commercial sites, aggressively fights off all attempts to quarantine and uninstall it? Maybe I should take advice from the people who wrote such a program?

I mean, really: how do these people sleep at night?

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Tempting to say:

I told you so! Use Firefox!

So I said it.

March 14, 2005 2:08 pm  
Blogger Gaute said...

I'll say it, too, even though I never told you so.

March 14, 2005 3:12 pm  
Blogger mrtn said...

I know, I know.

If I had firefox with Flash, I'd prob. only be using that. Must get firefox flash

It suits my style of browsing much more too. I open many new windows, and then collapse my way back to the first page. In firefox, you can open banners. I like that

March 15, 2005 9:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home