*

13.10.04

Not quite Norwegian, but pining for the fjords nonetheless

I've been blogging for a little over a year and a half now. I started the blog in English, and maintained it in English for a number of reasons. Mostly, because at the time, I felt like I wanted to write English more than Norwegian, that I needed to maintain it and that it was the language I was the most skilled with in writing. Also, obviously because I wanted people to be able to read it. At the time there were hardly any Norwegian blogs that I knew of, and most of them were about teenage broadband-connected anxiety in the suburbs of Oslo. Writing English meant a bigger band of possible readers.

After my little blogging identity-crisis and the following seven months of romantic bliss, I have been rethinking what I want to with this place alot. And one of the new things I want to do is practice writing Norwegian. I no longer feel that I am more skilled at writing in English than in Norwegian (though I do seem to have a better knack for structured argument in English than literary prose, and vice versa), but equally skilled. I also find that a significant portion of my "readership" (i.e. 9 out of the 10 of you) understand both languages, despite my intentions to reach the world through blogger superstardom. Therefore I find that I have to decide what language I should be writing in. My answer, for the moment, will be a very half-assed both. I'll see what works and what doesn't work, and we'll see if I need to change that.

But I will be posting more in Norwegian than I have been doing (I believe, a total of two posts since I started). For those of you who don't understand Norwegian, I'm sorry you won't be able to understand some of my writings from this point on, or at least until the English-Norwegian Babelfish translator comes along. I don't expect this to raise pulses or cause tears worldwide, but I just thought I'd inform you. But don't worry. I still hope to be posting 50/50.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home